June 7, 2011

the best things in life are free

Go here for this beautiful bird.
A bird feeder {or three} hangs by the kitchen window. There is a constant show. We notice them the most in the morning and then again at dinner. Someone will freeze and point.

"Mom, look!"

And I am always excited! It may be a hummingbird of unexceptional plumage that we have seen a thousand times, but by golly, A HUMMINGBIRD is nothing short of a MIRACLE. I love the crisp black and white attire of the aggressive magpie and the sassy navy plume on the jay. Tiny brown tweed birds bathe and flit by the front door and we are rife with garish orange orioles.

What a gift. I don't have to pay them. They do their table dances for free. We only have to admire. We keep the bird books by the window, more than one copy, so we can all fully appreciate where we fit into their flight plan.

Birds are free.

As Michael Franti sings 'the best things in life aren't things.'

The best things in life are free.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! This reminds me that I need to install some bird feeders near my kitchen window. I've been meaning to do it, thanks for the push!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day. Thanks for taking the time!